Tuesday, April 16, 2013

new york city

The camera upgrade to a Canon 6D has been a bit good news/bad news. Good news: new, amazing camera! First bad news: Lightroom 3 doesn't work with a 6D, gotta upgrade to 4 (or install a free DNG converter and build a more complex import routine). It is a particular kind of bummer if you haven't realized this until you and are ready to upload your first shots with your new camera. The second piece of bad news is that the EF-S lenses I use with my Rebel won't work on the 6D because it's a full frame camera. This lens issue is more complex to solve and has led to a ton of internet research. Or really, just hours and hours of my staring at this web page.

In order to find out what's next for me, lens wise, I've been going back through photos and seeing what focal length I typically use, given my existing lenses cover 18 - 250mm. On a Fall trip to NYC, the winner was the 50mm f 1.4 (which is fortunately EF not EF-S so still works on the full frame). However, I did make use of the full zoom of my EF-S 55-250mm. Lens search: to be continued...

First, caught in a downpour in the Garment District, with the 50mm:










Then, more building pictures using the full 250mm zoom of the EF-S 55-250mm lens. (My poor man's Michael Wolf impression).





And back with the 50mm...  my hostess and dear friend's cat, Harlow.  An East Village Himalayan. 

2 comments:

  1. Well, the 70-200 f/4 IS is ridiculously great. Look for one refurbished on Canon's US site. I ended up picking one up for ~ $860 which is oh so worth it, especially with your FF 6D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anonymous! I've heard a lot of good things about that lens...

      Delete